Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stiff Competition

I did not realize that getting into Korea to teach would be so competitive. Therefore spreading a wide net is essential, belief is necessary. I've been working non stop, searching for job listings either posted by recruiters or Korean Institutes themselves. I've typed so many emails, my fingers and wrist hurt. Yet I continue on and push onward because I believe ESL in Korea is what I want to do. Originally, I wanted to go to Japan to teach, but I've noticed that Korea provides more opportunities and benefits, so I have altered my initial inclination a bit.

Reading the wealth of information available via recruiting websites, blogs, and message boards has encouraged me daily to feel more comfortable about my pursuit, yet both sick and nauseated thinking about the competition I will face, whether institute directors will like me or not. . .the choice between public vs. private schools, in order to fit this year abroad into my future plans. Anyway, can't sit down and think these thoughts for too long.

I'm learning Korean with Rosetta Stone! It works!!! This is the best language learning program ever. After 1 30min lesson, which I did about 3 times, I felt confident and capable. Rosetta Stone is interesting. . . it really throws you right in there.

1 comment:

  1. Good on you for trying to learn Korean first. If you are armed with some Korean, don't cop a whiny "that's not how we do it in America!" attitude, and recognize that some in Korea (and Japan and the rest of East Asia) aren't accustomed to seeing Black folks so that you don't get too offended when someone says something innocently stupid, you'll be fine.

    Have you contacted universities directly? Though the hiring season has passed (they are hiring for September 1 and March 1 starting dates), you might be able to get a job if someone backed out. Even if you don't have a TESL degree (do you?).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete