Friday, October 22, 2010

Another Boring Day in Pocheon

This semester at my elementary school, I'm teaching 5th grade, 6th grade, "Morning Tales," Phonics 1 and 2, and "Tea Party." Morning Tales is a morning storytelling class, each day a different class; Monday 1st grade, Tuesday 2nd grade, Wednesday 3rd grade, Thursday 5th grade, and Friday 4th grade. I have to get to school an hour before everyone else for this class. I'm getting used to waking up early so it's not so bad, but when i want to talk to people at home in the US leaving early can be a bummer. Tea Party is an after school conversation class composed of nine students of various grade levels yet advanced reading and speaking skills for their grades. I give my Tea Party class snacks at the end of class and so far they listen and they do their work and they enjoy the snacks, which i buy out of pocket. I teach the morning and afternoon classes alone. I teach phonics 1 and 2 with a coteacher named Hwa-Jong. I teach 5th and 6th grade with a coteacher named Gahye. Last semester I taught 3rd and 4th grade with Eunmi and kindergarten alone. I hated kindergarten. It was the most difficult. Jen, the new foreign assistant teacher at my school, got here in september.

5th and 6th grades English class were canceled yesterday due to midterms. Today 6th grade English class was cancelled due to PE test. On Monday 5th grade will be canceled for the same reason. This means Gahye and I will only have today's class to practice our lesson for our open class (view by vice principal or more typically other Korean English teachers and foreign teachers).

Tomorrow, i'm going to seoul to get my external hard drive and eat sushi with a few people i've met here in Korea. I don't know why I don't have friends. I've never had many friends or even very close friends. I suppose i'm guarded. I suppose that there was a lot to protect in the past. Not anymore I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment